CFA Intramural Open 2023

The 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Open & CFA Intramural Open

We’re already taking some steps to help get you ready. You’ll be seeing more specific skill portions in class, working past Open WODs into the programming, doing some extra PT sessions… all in hopes of preparing for the next Open.

More details will come soon with specifics on teams and game outlines, but for now we just wanted to get the word out because when the time comes, we’re going to have to act fast!

Who:
Open to all CFA members of all skill levels.

What:
The Intramural Open experience is a team format take on the CrossFit Games Open. All participants will be placed into a blind draft (1/26 – see below for more info) and then drafted into different teams managed by your Team Captains.

Points will be earned by things like:

Participating in the Open Workouts
Top performance in the Open Workouts
Team Spirit
Team Outings
Other super fun shenanigans

And more… To be determined, but will be established before we begin!

When:
Starting on February 16, one workout will be released from CFHQ each week for 3 weeks on Thursday evenings. We will program the workouts as part of the normally scheduled programming on Fridays  AND we will have an additional schedule that will be the BIG time for teams to gather and have a fun time together on Friday evenings. Special make ups outside of the classes/events may be requested and addressed on a case-by-base basis. The Intramural Open experience will wrap up with the final WOD announced on March 2nd and we’ll have our wrap party Friday the 3rd!!

Where:
The workouts will be run at the gym as part of the normal class sessions and during a special events schedule Friday evenings. If you are traveling during this time period, you may also find an affiliate to complete the standard workouts with to earn your participation points.

Why:
Because it’s fun and we believe it’ll make you better in more ways that just improving your health and fitness. Cheering each on other on in this environment gives you an experience that you can’t find anywhere else. The Open is a great way to test to see where your current potential is. I encourage everyone to participate because it’s the path that’s going to allow you to pursue your most positive potential and be able to connect with other fellow CFA family members.

For those that want to submit scores via the CFHQ Open, please feel free to do so, make sure you have a judge for your workout, and we will validate your scores via the CFHQ system accordingly. Please note, it is NOT a requirement that you sign up through HQ in order to participate with us. Signing up through HQ will allow you to see how you rank with the rest of the world, but we don’t require it for IMO.

How:
Sign up online through the Triib Events HERE!! The registration fee is $40. This includes your t-shirt, entry fee, and funding for the finals party and winning team’s prizes

REGISTRATION DEADLINE – Thursday, January 26th @ 5:00 pm! – The draft happens 1/26 @ 7:00 pm at CFA (aka Thirsty Thursday) then we’ll order team shirts!

Again, you DO NOT have to register through CFHQ to register for the intramural open. You ONLY need to register with HQ if you want to submit your scores worldwide.

PRIZES
The top team will earn a GRAND prize. Details released soon!

Our focus is on FUN. We want participation because it will make you fitter, and it will get you high-fives and you’ll be happy and love life more and glow and stuff.

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions or if you have any reservations about any unique challenges, I’m positive we can work it out.

December Athlete of the Month || Zac Spangler!

Each month we spotlight a different CFA athlete who stands out and shows just how awesome they are. What is it that makes up an Athlete of the Month? It may not be the person that finishes the fastest, Rx’s every WOD, or gets a PR every time they walk in the gym. Although we love and celebrate when those things happen, the Athlete of the Month is made up of much more than physical ability. This person shows up, gives their best every time, and then gives a little more. They are hungry to learn and always ready to do the work. They support their fellow classmates and encourage them to reach their goals. This athlete embodies what we believe the CrossFit Austin Community should be about.

Our December Athlete of the Month is Zac Spangler! Zac came to Austin as a PT student and fell right in with our community! Zac is usually an afternoon fella. Just look for the guy with excellent form and the friendly face! He’s been such a pleasure to have in class and we appreciate his kind and welcoming personality. We’ve loved being part of the journey with him and celebrating the wins along the way! Zac, we are honored to have you as our December Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

State your Name and/or Nickname please:

Zac Spangler

Words to live by?

You’re a product of the 5 people you spend the most time with, so choose your circle wisely

What is your fitness background?

I have been involved in fitness most of my life, mostly training to improve athletic performance while still playing sports. When sports ended I began at a local CrossFit Gym and have been training for personal fitness, health, and longevity ever since.

How long have you been CrossFitting?

I began CrossFit in 2017.

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to workouts today?

I was way too aggressive when I began CrossFit and thought every workout needed to be 1000% effort and if you were not laying on the ground after you did it wrong. I’m happy I did it this way because I have a better understanding of my upper limits and know when to scale back and when to push. Now, I am focused on respecting my body and training for health, longevity, and improving technique.

What’s your favorite part of CrossFit Austin?

The coaches, community, and programming

Current Training Goals/PRs?

To go 6 for 6 at my first Olympic Weightlifting meet on Dec. 17th!

What advice do you have for folks just starting out in CrossFit?

I’d tell someone to not feel pressured to RX workouts, each workout is designed to create a specific stimulus, and weights or speeds will look different for each person. I would recommend a focus on building a solid foundation, respecting your body, making friends, and having fun. Focus on longevity and celebrate the small wins along the way.

How do you balance staying focused in your training when life gets busy?

There’s no way to avoid life getting busy and I try to focus on everyday movement. While each day might not be a workout at the gym, I can still go for a walk, do yoga, or get outside and soak up some sun. Doing the little things to still get my body moving allows me to make progress on goals even when not in the gym.

What is your cheat meal go-to?

Panda Express lol

How do you use your fitness outside of the gym?

I use my fitness outside of the gym by going hiking, mountain biking, and camping.

What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your fitness journey?

Staying consistent with training while moving as often as I do. Throughout my education to becoming a physical therapist, I have moved to multiple new cities. Having to relocate to new cities for internships has been a challenge to stay consistent with CrossFit or Olympic Weightlifting styles of training.

Tell us about a moment you felt most proud of yourself during a workout.

Basically doing any workout with my dad. My dad started doing CrossFit after watching me do a 2018 Open workout and has been doing it ever since. He has improved his fitness, strength, overall health, and longevity. I always have fun and feel proud when doing a partner workout with my dad.

If you could create a WOD and name it for yourself, what would it be?

I’m not great a programming but if I could choose a single movement to add to a workout it would have to be bar muscle-ups.

What keeps you going on the days you don’t feel like it?

Just focusing on everyday movement even if it’s something simple. Keeping physical activities simple will get me moving on days when I do not feel like it.

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?

Currently, I am a third-year physical therapy student so outside of CrossFit I am typically studying and learning about the body, rehabilitation, and physical therapy practice. Also, most nights you can find me riding a longboard around for fun!

Tell us something we don’t know about you…

I have a cat named Kota and she’s my pride and joy

Leave the fine folks of CrossFit Austin with some parting words…

Don’t forget to take moments each day to slow down the busyness of life, there’s simple beauty all around so take it in.

November Athlete of the Month || Shan Vonier!!

Each month we spotlight a different CFA athlete who stands out and shows just how awesome they are. What is it that makes up an Athlete of the Month? It may not be the person that finishes the fastest, Rx’s every WOD, or gets a PR every time they walk in the gym. Although we love and celebrate when those things happen, the Athlete of the Month is made up of much more than physical ability. This person shows up, gives their best every time, and then gives a little more. They are hungry to learn and always ready to do the work. They support their fellow classmates and encourage them to reach their goals. This athlete embodies what we believe the CrossFit Austin Community should be about.

Our November Athlete of the Month is Shan Vonier! Shan joined the CFA crew when she and her wonderful family moved to Austin in March of 2021! She’s a morning mama with the 5:30 am crew, but you’ll see her around in the afternoons when she brings her girls to the youth class as well! Shan knows what’s up when it comes to finding balance in her training. She always makes smart choices for how she feels each day. She has such a wonderful heart too and always encourages and lifts up those around her. We’ve loved being part of the journey with her and celebrating the wins along the way! Shan, we are honored to have you as our November Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

Shan – its not short for anything.

Words to live by?
Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, its not for them. -Joubert Botha

I‘ve played sports my whole life(softball, golf, volleyball). I didn’t like to lift weights and would only run in the gym when I was dragged there.

I‘ve been going since November 2019 with a break in 2020. Started at CFA in March 2021.

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to workouts today?
My first crossfit workout was The Murph 2019….solo. I was nervous, but also I had no real clue what I was getting myself into. I finished and it was the one of the hardest things I had done physically. I didn’t do another workout until the Open, when I did all those workouts, so yeah, I guess I just dove right in. I still get nervous because almost every workout seems daunting to me, but I just try to keep moving and know that it will end eventually.

The people! We just moved here and living in an apartment and homeschooling puts a damper on meeting people. We’ve really been able to build friendships and make connections with some amazing people here! Its been great for us as well as our 3 girls.

I‘m working on my pull ups and handstand walks. I recently got a PR for something and got to hit the gong, that was cool.

Do not listen to Ryan. Haha. But honestly, go at a pace that you feel comfortable. There will always be someone who is pushing you and cheering you on, but it really is about you and your goals. Comparison is the death of joy. Do you.

I have started paying attention to my body more. When I get that lazy feeling and miss workout or eat junk, I feel it and I don’t like it. I have noticed how much better I feel when I workout consistently, so I try to workout consistently. It’s easier when you have a husband who goes everyday he is town and a group of girls who text you, encourage you to be there and lift you up.

Spaghetti, salad, garlic rolls and cheesecake for dessert.

I have 3 girls who are very active and I do like to keep up with them. They will be out lifting me fairly soon, so I take what I can get right now. 

My own mind. Weightlifting, working out, etc has always been associated with losing weight, so I’m still learning about doing this for my health/enjoyment and not just to lose weight. I’ve had to really slow down. Crash dieting and running is easy because you see instant results. Staying consistent with workouts and eating habits does not yield overnight results, but it is sustainable and for longevity(thats what I hear anyways).

Honestly, I’m proud of every workout I complete, because I never think I am going to. BUT, my first rX workout this past summer. I cannot remember the actual workout, but it included power snatch and I did 65#. That was pretty exciting.

“Lose Yourself”

10 min AMRAP

10 Box Jumps
10 Wallballs
10 Power Cleans

The one aspect of CrossFit I was drawn to….time. I like how I can show up, warm up, workout and be done within an hour. An hour is really not that long and to be done with an entire workout as well as have stretched, possibly lifted some heavy stuff, chatted with the girls and its barely 7AM…it’s a great start to any day.

I play sand volleyball and golf. I love to cook and read.  I’m really into making focaccia bread these days. If I’m not doing those things then I am hanging out with the fam. I have 3 girls who are into dance, weightlifting and volleyball, so we are usually doing one of those things.

Tell us something we don’t know about you….
I was in 4-H.  I showed dogs(St. Bernard), rabbits, sheep and made cookies. I did it for 3-4 years and I won Champion a couple times. At one point I had probably 10 rabbits. They were Angora, so they had the long hair that was super soft. The first rabbit I bought was gray-blue and his name was Harry-Bob.

I’ll refer back to words I live by and paraphrase….It’s your journey. You do you, boo.

October Athlete of the Month || Tarun Nandkishore!!

Our October Athlete of the Month is Tarun Nandkishore! Tarun joined the CFA Family at year ago, but wasn’t a stranger to CrossFit when he came to us! You’ll usually find him in the 6:00 pm hour whether that be a CrossFit class or back in the Weightlifting Center! Tarun has been such a pleasure to have in classes! He is always eager and willing to learn and truly takes the coaching he receives to heart. We’ve loved being part of the journey with him and celebrating the wins along the way! Tarun, we are honored to have you as our October Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

Tarun or Tarooon (Like Coach Dylan, Alien & Bach call out…)

Words to live by?

Live & let live.

The only fitness option while growing up was playing sports. Playing Cricket (It is big in India) & also did a bit of
swimming as well.

Around 4 years

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel?

It was very intense. The work out included Air squats, Burpees, Running. There were 4 new folks along with me
trying out CrossFit for the first time, at the end of the work out all of us were on the verge of passing out. Lol….

How do you compare it to workouts today?

I understood that beyond just getting physically fit, CrossFit teaches you humility and perseverance. It also
reminds me that there is nothing quite as satisfying as finishing a brutally hard workout and being able to reflect
the growth you experience as an athlete in that space.

CFA has been the one of the most diverse gyms I have come across. I look up to all the coaches and lots of
individuals as well, who are always cheering you and being very supportive. It gives you a very positive feel &
the energy is very vibrant. My wife (Vaish) & I love ATX for the same reason, the vibe is just fantastic, and it is
one of the best decisions we have made by moving here. Now the main highlight is the weightlifting class. It
has transformed my thinking & understanding on how to move my body for complex movements. Coach Dylan
has the magic mantra on how to gain momentum and live with consistency.

Press over head -Body weight, Squat- Body weight, Deadlift- 2 x Body weight. Currently, I can only squat my
body weight. Get strong or lose weight are the only options…

Enjoy the moment, trust the process. Always remember, physical strength can only take you to a certain limit,
after that it is all mental strength, training your mind and staying consistent will help you in the long run & yeah
always be humble and open to learning.

Making the choice to re-prioritize and put yourself higher upstream in priority.

I am a foodie, love all the Carbs & grease but yeh… a good burger would be my go-to cheat meal.

Hiking. Couple of years ago did a Back packing trip in the Grand Canyon & would love to do it again.

Eating clean and the town I lived in Michigan was all about breweries.

Not particularly a workout but started training 3 days a week and listening to the body before bringing that
volume to 4 or 5 days a week. Giving the body time to adapt to a point where the importance of training is
prioritized in my life to accommodate hours every week. I am super proud of that.

Appetite for Destruction – 5 Rounds for time: 5 Heavy Back squats, 200m Sledge push (Heavy), 100m sprint.
Heavy is subjective, loading up the bar with your body weight or more..

That feeling of accomplishment, after completing your workout. That endorphin release!!

Love traveling, road tripping, try out new delicacies.

I was a design engineer in interiors for private charter aircrafts.

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”:
Sun Tzu- The Art of War

September Athlete of the Month || Kaytlin Blanchard!

Our September Athlete of the Month is Kaytlin Blanchard! KB joined the CFA Family in December of 2020, but wasn’t a stranger to CrossFit when she came to us! You’ll usually find her sweatin’ midday with the lunch bunch! She always comes in with a good attitude and a great big smile. She’ll make ANYONE feel like a rockstar when they walk through our doors. Kaytlin always comes in ready to work hard in class and try to be a little better every day. We’ve loved being part of the journey with her and celebrating the wins along the way! KB, we are honored to have you as our September Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

State your Name and/or Nickname please: image0.jpeg

Kaytlin/KB

Words to live by?

We should all treat each other like groups of drunk girls in restrooms, the world would be a much nicer place and full of random compliments!!

I’ve always been active!! Started off with competitive dance then field hockey became my true love. I was lucky enough to play on teams all over the USA and overseas then coached for awhile!!

I started CrossFit in 2012. Took a break due to injury in ‘16. Rejoined in Dec. ‘20!

Oh man, I felt so excited and scared to do my first WOD!! I think it had some overhead plate lunges with a partner and I knew I didn’t want to let them down so I pushed myself so hard. Cut to the next day, I could barely move hahaha I think I took 5 days off to recover but I was hooked and ready for more!!

Now, I do 2-3 WODs a day 5-6 days a week!! So much progress has been made!!

Easy, the community and coaching staff!! I’ve never found such a wonderful group of people. Everyone is so genuine and truly loves to watch each other succeed both in and outside of the gym, it’s incredible!! I feel so lucky to be a part of the crew

I’ve been training for a few competitions over the last few months and it’s been a blast!! So many PRs have been made thanks to all the coaching and programming. My current goal outside of comp training is to get my TTB strung together!!

Don’t be scared or intimidated!! Starting out is the best part, everyday is pretty much a PR!!

I’m fortunate that I can plan my days around my training for the most part. On days where it seems like it’s hard to get in a WOD I just remind myself, it’s 1hr of my day and it makes me feel soooo much better!! I can give myself 1hr

HAH…anyone that’s met me knows my whole life is a cheat meal!! That’s why I’m always at the gym lol

Not to brag but, I can bring in all my groceries in one trip lol!! Haha really though, I like to test my fitness trying new things. This year I completed in my first terrain race with some other CFA members, I also started competing in some local team CF comps with CFA members too! I enjoy hiking, running, skiing/snowboarding, golfing, paddle boarding, pretty much anything active and outside is my jam!!

I’d say my challenges are mostly mental. As a masters athlete, listening to my body and actually slowing down or going lighter vs full send, has been a process. I know it’s necessary so I can continue to have longevity in the sport and continued health without injury though!! The second challenge has been my body dysmorphia. Putting on muscle, being healthy, and being able to do the movements in CF has changed my body a lot and I’ve come along way in loving my gains but there is still some work to be done!! The CFA community has really helped so much with this and I can’t thank everyone enough!! It’s the best!!

It may sound strange but I’m most proud of the days where the WOD falls apart or maybe I breakdown because I’m having a bad/sad day and I still persevere!! Those days are hard but it’s rewarding to look back and know “I still did it”.

“Of course there’s running” 5 Rounds for time: 3 Rope Climbs 6 Heavy Cleans 21 Sit-ups 400m Run What keeps you going on the days you don’t feel like it? I’ve never regretted workouts I’ve showed up for, only ones I didn’t.

I’m a road trip gal, Augie (my dog) and I leave town often!! I’m a classically trained pianist and play the baritone as well. I like throwing pots or really anything ceramics/art related. I absolutely LIVE for animals and love anything and everything involving them!!

9 is my favorite number, it comes up in my life often. For example, being picked for AOM on the 9th month!! It’s said in numerology 9 is the highest level of change and I certainly like to mix it up!!

If you didn’t dance at some point during the day, did the day ever really happen?!

August Athlete of the Month || Stephen McCoy!!

Our August Athlete of the Month is Stephen McCoy! Stephen joined the CFA Family in March of 2021, but wasn’t a stranger to CrossFit when he came to us! Stephen is a tried and true 4:30 fella, although every once in a while he’ll pop in on another class. Stephen’s journey hasn’t always been an easy one, but he is an incredible example of the amazing things that can happen with discipline, consistency, and a positive outlook. He always comes in with a good attitude and is ready to work hard and try to be a little better every day. And, if you ever need a smile, you’ll be sure to get one from Stephen! We’ve loved being part of the journey with him and celebrating the wins along the way! Stephen, we are honored to have you as our August Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

Stephen, or Steve

Words to live by?
It sounds cliche, but daily consistency is really key to me making progress. What can I do today to be 1% better and the results becomes compounding over time.

Played sports and engaged in ‘fit things’ as long as I can remember. Rugby, Cricket (yes, that weird British sport), Swimming, Cycling, Half Marathons, Football (okay Soccer) etc.

I don’t remember exactly, but probably about 5 years.

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel?
 Excited and a little nervous. I had watched some Crossfit on YouTube including games events and saw these crazy people excelling across multiple strength, fitness and gymnastic movements. I had a feeling I would probably enjoy it..

On my first day I remember doing a modified version of ‘Fran’ with a 45lb barbell and banded pull-ups. It was super tough, but the love affair started, lol!

How do you compare it to workouts today?
Looking back, it now seems easy but we all have to start somewhere on our Crossfit journey. The motivating community really helped me make great strides little by little each year.

What’s your favorite part of CrossFit Austin?
 Like many people have said, the Community of members and great coaches. Over and above fitness, CFA has been a supportive and open community to build new friendships and encourage each other in our life and fitness challenges.

I don’t have any specific goals or PR’s in mind. As I get older, I am more focused on enjoying the privilege of being able to use my body to do cool stuff, and having fun. I still get competitive with myself and want to push to get stronger.

What advice do you have for folks just starting out in CrossFit?
 I guess a Crossfit gym can be a daunting environment to enter. I would say, enjoy the process, be open to learning new things and the cool people at CFA will keep you challenged and encouraged.

It’s not hard for me to prioritize training in my life for the most part. I view it as my mental and physical escape from the busyness of life. It’s fun for me, and reminds me of getting out of the school classroom at break (recess) to go to the playground with my friends.

Gotta be a stacked burger with fries, and I might throw in a ‘choccie’ milkshake to amp it up.

In the summer I love being on and in the water swimming, paddleboarding etc. In the past I have done some obstacle races and a Spartan Beast.

Last year I fractured my skull and sustained a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) from a scooter accident. At that point my future mental and physical wellbeing was uncertain and frightening. Through intensive physical and mental rehabilitation, and the encouragement of friends and family I was able to get back to Crossfit, and my career. I feel very lucky!

Tell us about a moment you felt most proud of yourself during a workout.
I think it was 4 months after my TBI, being able to walk back into the gym and do a Power Clean without all the mental and physical issues I had been facing. I remember laying in my ICU bed trying to visualize doing that movement again and it gave me motivation to keep getting better each day. Doing it that day at CFA represented a fulfillment of that milestone!

Probably something with muscle-ups in it. I enjoy flying around on gymnastics bars..

The Big Lebowski:
5 rounds for time
6 Muscle Ups
10 Power Cleans (135 lbs/ 95 lbs)
10 Burpees (yes, I am that sad)

What keeps me going…? I actually don’t know sometimes, keeping my brain on autopilot to avoid self-negotiation around ‘should I workout today?’ maybe

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?
I enjoy nerding out on investing, and currently learning Options trading. I love traveling and have visited many cool places but continue to have the desire to visited many more places. A few weeks ago I got back from Cartagena, Colombia, wild and fun place!
Growing up in South Africa I spent two years learning one of the local African languages called Zulu. It was so fun to learn and I use to sing some local tribal songs to help learn the language. I don’t take requests haha.

Leave the fine folks of CrossFit Austin with some parting words…
Keep challenging yourself and encouraging one another.

July Athlete of the Month || Cory Guevara!

Our July Athlete of the Month is Cory Guevara! Cory joined the CFA Family in September of 2021, but came in with some years in the CF world. Cory is an afternoon gal, sweatin’ with the best of them in the 4:30 crew or hitting a Weightlifting class with Coach Dylan! Cory is a pleasure to have in class. She always comes in with a good attitude and is ready to work hard and try to be a little better every day. She is also a friendly face that you’ll almost always find at the socials! We’ve loved being part of the journey with Cory and celebrating the wins along the way! Cory, we are honored to have you as our July Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

A message from Cory:

Let me begin with a great big THANK YOU!  There are no words to convey my appreciation for this honor of being selected Athlete of the Month.  CrossFit has been such a blessing for me since I began my fitness journey.  It’s almost been a year since I moved to the beautiful City of Austin and I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.  My first order of business moving up to Austin, was to find a CrossFit gym that would best suit me.  I looked into several boxes including CFA, read reviews, looked at the photos posted to see what they were about.  On my first visit to CFA, I was sold immediately.  I met Coach Tim and saw the members working out and felt the positive energy and vibes immediately.  It was such a welcoming social environment which was exactly what I was looking for.  I was a bit nervous at first, new town, new people, new co-workers.  Fortunately, all has worked out beautifully.    I gained a 2nd family by joining CFA.  Here’s to my AWESOME Coaches and AMAZING members…you make life so much better. 

Corina, but everyone knows me by Cory.

Words to live by?

Show up. Work hard. Be kind. Spread love and work on yourself every single day. Never give up.

Cheerleader, back in the day (very long ago).  Tried out a few gym classes, such as kickboxing, yoga, Zumba, etc…Never in a million years would I have thought of ever lifting a barbell much less owning one… 

7 years

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to today?

First of all, my eldest daughter pretty much dragged me to my first CrossFit gym.  I was a little hesitant, not sure what to expect.  Me not having any clue on how to lift a barbell or any other equipment, much less knowing the CF lingo.  One of the first things we did notice was that as soon as we walked into the box everyone was very welcoming.  Members and coaches introduced themselves and made you feel at home.  We both decided to sign up and continued going.  Seven years later, I can say it was the best decision I have ever made.  At CrossFit, the community welcomes and encourages you to really test your ability to go all out, and that’s a great feeling! No matter what stage you are in life, anything is possible. We can scream, grunt, cheer each other on, we can fall to the floor in a puddle of sweat, cry with frustration, and even laugh at disasters.  All I can say is CFA is a special place filled with incredible people that have become my chosen family.  

Continue to improve my lifting/gymnastic skills.  I’d like to see myself compete in CF comps and possibly Olympic Lifting comps.  Oh and one more thing, improve my running skills…

Give it a try and don’t give up.  Heathy life, happy life. 

I have grown to love this sport.  It’s really not difficult for me to stay focused.  The best part of my day is knowing that I will be hitting the gym, and putting in a workout with my favorite humans.

PIZZA is my favorite and I gotta have my donuts every now and then.

Carrying my groceries up 3 flight of stairs all in one trip. It also helps me keep up with my adult children OR they have to keep up with me…LOL

Consistency, self-discipline and staying the course.

During the 2022 Open, I was able to perform at the RX level.  On the 3rd and final workout I managed to hit a muscle up seconds before the time cap which totally surprised me.  Not very pretty but I DID IT! 

Lady Thor – AMRAP 20 minutes

5 GI Jane’s (burpee, pull up  –  Modification: 10 jumping pull ups)
10 DLs (135/95/75)
250M Row   

That’s really not a difficult answer, I love what I do, so “not feeling it” is not a common thing for me.  I will show up and give it my all.   But I will admit, there are days that my body will tell me to take a break because I have learned that recovery and rest is very important.

I’m a huge movie buff, total Marvel and Star Wars fan.  A good movie always makes me happy.  Travel is something I plan on doing for myself, see the world and venture out.  I’m also seeking new things to try, like gymnastics, roller skating, rock climbing, dance, etc.    “Never lose your childish enthusiasm, AND things will come your way”…

I’m pretty simple.  My four children are my world and I love life…

Keep living life bravely and boldly. Believe it or not, it inspires others…

June Athlete of the Month || Chris Ferone!!

Our June Athlete of the Month is Chris Ferone! Chris joined the CFA Family in December of 2020, but came in with some years in the CF world. Chris is part of the chicken o’clock crew, coming in and getting it done before the sun comes up!  Not only is Chris a pleasure to have in class, he’s also generally one of the first to volunteer to help us out when we need it during an event or otherwise! He has such a genuine heart and has really added to this community in so many ways. While we are going to miss him when he moves to Dallas, we’ve loved being part of the journey with him and celebrating the wins along the way! Chris, we are honored to have you as our June Athlete of the Month and as an awesome part of this team. Thanks for your all your hard work and we look forward to seeing all you accomplish in the years to come! Congratulations!

Chris Ferone. Friends mostly just call me Ferone

Words to live by?
Love God, Love Others, Nothing else matters

What is your fitness background?-
I played baseball for 9 years growing up and have been involved in sports and fitness in general.

10+ years

I actually was meeting with a personal trainer that introduced me to crossfit. It was helpful because I met with him for 6 months or more and we would watch the crossfitters come in the gym and he would point out what NOT to do as far as movements, etc. I appreciated his feedback and now love crossfit because of the movements!
The community and pushing myself to be better

I still need to learn to rope climb and do consistent double unders!

Be patient and don’t try to lift heavy and be a hero.

Training for me is like a drug- so when I get busy I still have to fit it in or I suffer in my personal life.

In N Out burger and ice cream

Hiking and road biking consistently. I also occasionally go running.

Learning how to listen to my body and say no to a workout at times. I typically want to push through and still go workout even if I am not feeling well.

Finally stringing together kipping pullups!
FeroneRX. ha ha
I know that I will feel SO much better if I move my body. It sets the tone for my day.

Church community, concerts, biking, hiking, traveling, latin dancing, and eating good food!

I am relocating to Dallas in the coming months 🙁

Take advantage of today and the day you have been given. You never know when its your last.

CrossFit Austin MURPH DAY 2022 || Saturday, June 25

CrossFit Austin will be hosting Murph Day Saturday (6/25/2022) honoring the memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy and all fallen veterans. Lieutenant Murphy was killed in Afghanistan on June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he named it “Body Armor”. We will honor a focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

REGISTER HERE

“Murph”

For time:
1 mile run
00 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

*Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed.
**Teams of 2, 3, or 4 (max 4 people) are welcome.
***All movements can be scaled.
****Be sure to wear your twenty pound vest or body armor if you have it.

EVENT SPECIFICS:

REGISTRATION DETAILS

Event Registration + Shirt – Deadline – June 5th

• $40 for participating athletes
  • Athlete entry fee includes registration & t-shirt costs and donations

Event Registration without Shirt

• $25 for participating athletes
  • Athlete entry fee includes registration costs and donations

***Shirt ONLY (non-participant) – Deadline – June 5th

• $25 for shirt only
  • All proceeds from t-shirt sales will be donated

SHIRTS – The image is the concept image and may have some slight changes to the final product.

Bella Canvas Unisex Tee

Next Level Women’s Racerback

Bella Canvas Unisex Tank

EVENT DETAILS

• This event is open to all – members and non-members
  • Athletes must arrive at 30 minutes prior to their heat to warm-up, sign-in, and pick up shirts
  • Heat times start at 8:00 am, 9:15 am, and 10:30 am
  • Spectators are welcome – dogs are not allowed at this location
  • Donations are welcome and can be made through eventbrite, Navy SEAL FoundationYMCA of Austin, or onsite the day of the event.

Donations and proceeds will go to benefit the charity of your choice. As always, you may donate to The Navy Seal Foundation. In addition, we are including a local foundation near and dear to our own Bach Vu, the YMCA of Austin’s Annual Giving Campaign . You can read more about what they do HERE.

“I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.” – Vince Lombardi

CFA Blood Drive || Saturday, June 11, 2022

Saturday, June 11th

10:00am – 2:00pm

Crossfit Austin, organized by Derek Fons is hosting a blood drive at our gym at 8708 S. Congress Ave Building C, Austin, TX. Lend a helping arm to support your community and save local lives. It is easy; just click here to make an appointment online or call (512) 206-1266.  Appointments are strongly encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome.

For your eligibility questions please click here

For questions specific to our drive, your “We Are Blood” contact is Louis Hill, lhill@weareblood.org, or 512.206.1204

Your onsite contact: Derek Fons, derek@farfromrest.com 

*Remember! Eat a full meal before donating and bring your photo ID