With the New Year upon us everyone’s minds are buzzing about goals, resolutions, and how 2017 is going to be different! We all know that for the first month or so our minds and intentions are in the right place, but as the year goes on those goals tend to become less of a priority. So how do we do it? How do we finally reach that goal we’ve been setting every year (some of us for years…)? Below are a few tips to help you follow through and meet those goals this year.
1) Ditch the mindset of a New Year’s Resolution. If that helps to motivate you, awesome, but don’t make your goals dependent on the new year. Why should you only set goals for yourself when the calendar is rolling over? This automatically allows you to procrastinate on taking the necessary steps to reach your goal. It also limits you in that, “if you didn’t put it down on January 1 it’s not going to happen this year…” BS! Goals are just as evolving as you are and as you get closer to the finish line, you should continue to grow that goal. Your work isn’t over when you reach the goal… There’s more to accomplish! Start now and don’t stop!
2) Establish your ‘why.’ Why do you want to lose weight? Why do you want to hit that # in your back squat? It doesn’t really matter what the ‘why’ is, just that you know the motivation behind your goals. The ‘why’ gives them purpose and knowing your ‘why’ will keep you moving toward them.
3) Set realistic goals and have a solid plan to reach them. It’s one thing to say you want to reach a goal, but to be successful you have to really think it through and put it into action. Set a goal that is realistic for you and your timeline. A lot of folks like to follow the S.M.A.R.T method, but you have to find what’s right for you. Coach Wes gave an awesome recommendation of setting small goals along the way. Use them as stepping stones toward your big goal. However you go about it, create a plan so you don’t end up missing your goals because you got lost along the way.
4) Prioritize your goals and avoid roadblocks. You know that thing you’ve always wanted to do, but you didn’t have time, or it was too expensive, or excuses, excuses, excuses…. If you truly value this goal enough you will find time, finances, or whatever else is needed to make it happen. If there is a will, there is a way. It’s up to you to figure that out. Things come up in life that you make time and money for and your own goals should be no different.
Even if you have taken all the steps to set yourself up for success, there will always be speed bumps along the way. Some of them are unavoidable, but there are steps you can take to help keep yourself on track. It’s important for you to identify the things that may cause you to get off track. Be aware of them and avoid them if possible. Making smart choices along the way will get you to where you want to be.
5) Don’t take yourself too seriously. Half the fun of reaching a goal is the journey you take to get there! Surround yourself with like-minded people who will support you and keep you going, even on the rough days (and trust me, you’ll have those occasionally). Reward yourself when you reach milestones and find ways to make getting there interesting. It’s easy to go down the rabbit hole when you’re working toward something. If something goes wrong one day, wipe the slate clean and keep moving forward. It’s not the end, it’s just one of those speed bumps.
Ok, so get to it! Start now, make a plan, and make some cool shit happen! Whether your goals are fitness related or otherwise, the process is the same. I can’t wait to see all the amazing things you cool humans accomplish this year!