The Prep at CrossFit Austin || April 4

The next cycle of The Prep at CrossFit Austin will start on Monday, April 4
REGISTER HERE

THE PREP COURSE

[what]    What we like to call “The Prep” is designed to introduce new clients to the fundamentals and essential movements often seen in our group classes. The Prep is a course that teaches proper movement, recovery, mobility strategies, and a crash course on nutrition & lifestyle. This beginners program ultimately gives our clients the tools to make their time at CrossFit Austin life changing. We’re not just movers and shakers at CrossFit Austin – we’re thinkers, too. Producing athletes that train smart, work hard and also know their stuff is what we’re all about.

Train Smart | We’ll teach you to lift & move proficiently
Dedicated time working on the technique of CrossFit Movements over the course of 12 classes, with technical consistency being a focus. Regular exposure to the movements will adequately prepare each client for success in the group class environment. Quality over quantity in your movement is our goal.

Work Hard | We’ll teach you to recover effectively
The body repairs and strengthens itself in the time between workouts. It’s in this time that the body adapts to the stress of exercise and the real training effect takes place. Learning what and how to fill this time outside of the gym is our goal.

Think Well | We’ll teach you to eat efficiently
The individuality and uniqueness of our clients are what makes our community a phenomenal place to thrive in their training. Nutrition can’t be ‘cut and paste’ for each individual – there’s no cookie cutter way to properly eat. Revolutionize the way you view nutrition and eat over the course of 12 classes and learn what works best for your ID.

[structure]    The Prep = 1 Month of CrossFit Austin

If there’s one thing we take seriously, it’s quality over quantity. Yes, we care about each and every person who walks through our doors on a deeper level. You aren’t a dollar sign or a name on a sheet. You’re a member of our family. In our opinion, there’s no way to teach anyone new to CrossFit quality movement and technique in a short amount of time. Thus, our introductory course that isn’t a cram session squeezed into a few day’s time. It’s an investment of a month on both ends. You meet with your coach 3x/week for 4 weeks, learning the ins & outs of what CrossFit and CrossFit Austin is all about.

1 month | 12 Sessions
Just show up; we’ll do the rest. The Prep course you enroll in will meet 3x/week for 4 weeks.  Structured like a CrossFit Class, your Prep course classes will be at the same time each day throughout the course length for 1-hour. Just show up, we’ll do the rest (we mean it!) –  Your coach leads you through the hour class, from welcome, to warm-up, to workout with the learning in between.

1 Coach | 6 athletes
The Prep Course is limited to 6 clients per course to ensure everyone gets quality, semi-private coaching, and our coaches can focus on teaching instead of managing.

With limited space in each course, wait-list opportunities are available.

>>Click here<<  to see a schedule of our upcoming  Prep Courses

Learn more about the CrossFit Austin coaches leading The Prep here.

Pricing:

Group Prep Option:  $200

Course Times:
{6:30 am on M/W/F} or {6:30 pm on M/W/Th}
4 weeks beginning April 4!

Your ABCs #Alwaysbecrotchstretching || Coach Wes Kimball

About two years ago, everyone’s favorite bearded CrossFit superstar Lucas Parker posted this on instagram:

Remember your ABCs: Always Be CrotchStretching

A photo posted by Lucas Parker (@toqueluc) on

Since then the world realized “You’re only cool if you stretch your groin”.

In all seriousness regular stretching and foam rolling your groin has a myriad of benefits from helping relieve knee and lower back pain to improving the bottom of your squat, and giving you a stronger set up position in the Olympic lifts.  I like the KISS method for mobility so you won’t find any bands or fancy contraptions in our stretching series below. Good ole fashion gravity will be doing the work in these stretches, and the whole routine should take no longer than 10 minutes. Lastly it’s important to remember not to be over aggressive when stretching, if a stretch gives you excessive pain or any numbness discontinue immediately.

Groin on the Wall Stretch

wall

• Lay flat on your back with your butt all the way against the wall
  • Let your legs fall to side and spread as far apart as possible
  • Relax your feet do not pull your toes back or flex your calves
  • Take long deep breaths through your belly, gently increase the stretch as you exhale

Frog Stretch

frog1frog2

• On your forearms and knees, face down on the floor point your feet out, and let your your knees spread wide
  • Using your forearms to gently push your hips back and keep your chest as close to the floor as possible
  • Take long deep breaths through your belly, gently increase the stretch as you exhale

Lizard Stretch

lizard

• This stretch will also incorporate the hip capsule and hip flexors
  • Kneeling on one knee, lower your hand or forearm to the ground
  • Try to keep your torso as close to the “up” leg as possible

Standing Groin Stretch

standing

• Standing up prop a straight leg up on a box or elevated surface so your foot is above your waist
  • Increase the stretch by slowly squatting with leg you are standing on

Those are the stretches now here’s the routine.

3:00 Groin on the Wall Stretch
2:00 Frog Stretch
1:00 Lizard stretch right leg
1:00 Lizard stretch left leg
1:00 Standing Groin stretch right leg
1:00 Standing Groin stretch left leg

This is a great series of stretches to do on a daily basis at night or in the morning if you have “tight” hips or are experiencing some knee ache while squatting. Its also great to do before class especially on days that include lunge, squatting, or Olympic lifts. Enjoy!

-Coach Wes

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS || 16.5 Presented by Airrosti

friday night light
March 25th
Athlete Check-In at 6:30 pm

First heat starts at 7:00 pm

REGISTER HERE

Join CrossFit Austin and Airrosti for the biggest and best Friday Night Lights celebration. Come to cheer on your fellow CrossFitters participating in 16.5 and enjoy great music, food, beer, wine and enter win free swag provided by Airrosti. The first 20 participants to register for heats receive a free Airrosti t-shirt. Hope to see you there!

Congrats to February Competitors!

It is so exciting for us to see so many of our folks getting out into the community to compete! We had a handful of folks get out and compete in February and we couldn’t be more proud. Great job on all your accomplishments CFA! Keep up the great work!

Leigh LeGare, Robyn Schoen, and Kim Peabody competing in A League of Their Own down in San Antonio Valentine’s weekend.

Jay Rod and George Valdez both ran the Austin half marathon.

We had a whole crew of folks compete in Night Of Champions 2 and ended up with an AWESOME group pic!

If we missed anyone please be sure to shoot us a message. If you have an event coming up in February, let us know!
Contact info@crossfitaustin.com with your competition details!

March Athlete Of The Month – Nicole Seltman!!

Each month we spotlight a different CFA athlete who stands out and shows just how awesome they are. What is it that makes up an Athlete of the Month? It may not be the person that finishes the fastest, Rx’s every WOD, or gets a PR every time they walk in the gym. Although we love and celebrate when those things happen, the Athlete of the Month is made up of much more than physical ability. This person shows up, gives their best every time, and then gives a little more. They are hungry to learn and always ready to do the work. They support their fellow classmates and encourage them to reach their goals. This athlete embodies what we believe the CrossFit Austin Community should be about.

Our March Athlete of the Month is Nicole Seltman! Nicole has been with us since 2012! She’s an evening gal, having dance parties during her rest time with the late night crew :). Nicole is an incredibly hard worker, always giving her best and making the rest of us look bad (just kidding, only some of us ;), but she’s awesome). She is focused and has a wonderful competitive energy. She’ll make you push yourself a little harder too. We’re so happy to have Nicole in our community and we’re extremely proud of all of her accomplishments, including being this month’s Athlete of the Month. Congratulations Nicole and thanks for all you do!

State your Name and/or Nickname please: nicole 3
Nicole or Seltman

Words to live by?
Do what you like. Like what you do. I don’t stop till the mission is done, I don’t stop till they tell me I’ve won.

What is your fitness background?
I grew up playing competitive soccer all my life. In high school I played soccer and also
lacrosse. I continued to play soccer and lacrosse at the club level in college.

How long have you been CrossFitting?
I think it’s been 4 years!

Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to workouts today?
Oh my gosh, I remember when I came to do the initial visit. I was sooooo intimidated. It was like 6:30 or 7:00 at night and CFA was in the old building. I was freaking out in the car because here I am walking up to what looks like an old warehouse, in the dark, and there are all these barbells hitting the ground and people screaming. I was like “oh man, what did I get myself into? Maybe I should just go back to 24 hr fitness, but I just took a deep breath and walked in. I have never looked back once.

What’s your favorite part of CrossFit Austin?nicole

I love everything! CFA really feels like home to me- and the people are my family. I love our community, the welcoming atmosphere when you step into the gym, and of course the coaches. For me, it is great to have a place I can come to where I can forget the stress of my day. I love being able to put it all out there, focus on what I want to focused on, get coached to do better. Plus to be surrounded by people who push me, challenge me and care about me as an athlete and as a person- what more can you ask for? CrossFit is my therapy.

Current Training Goals/PRs?
Well of course I have goals to increase my weights on all my lifts. In addition to that I really just want to continue to get stronger and faster. Now that I’m not training for the half anymore, I can get back to lifting and really upping those numbers, so that is where I’m focusing right now. Everyday my goal is just to do better than before- whether that’s 1 more rep, one less second, or 1 more pound.,

Oh, and I’d also like to be able to complete all the Open workouts Rx!

What advice do you have for folks just starting out in CrossFit?
Don’t be intimidated by the grunting, big plates, or crazy movements. Just know we were all starting out at some point. Leave your ego at the door, say hi, introduce yourself and smile. Remember it’s about having fun and making CrossFit what you want it to be for yourself. Who cares what your time is or what your score was…you came in and you got work done (and hopefully had fun) and that is what matters. Oh and of course, ask for help – we are all here to make this the best experience for you that it can be!

What is your cheat meal go to?
It’s probably pizza- I have been trying various places around Austin and am still on the search for the BEST pizza out there. But then again, there is also Kerbey Queso, or chocolate covered almonds with melted almond butter…oh man…

Tell us about a moment you felt most proud of yourself during a workout.17040844545_8ed2d892f1_z
I think last year completing 15.5 was one of my most proud moments. I HATE rowing and of course thrusters aren’t really all that fun either. I was so nervous- but I just got out there and gave it my all. I remember everyone cheering me on and pushing me to keep going. At the end I collapses to the floor and felt completely wiped out (see attached photo). But at the same time, I knew I had put it all out there and I felt really proud of that!

If you could create a WOD and name it for yourself, what would it be?

The Seltman:

Max plank hold 🙂

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?
I really like to run- hence my Instagram posts for #sundayrunday. I just ran my 6th half (PR’ed baby!) and I’m sure there will be more to come. I tend to be competitive so anything involving winning intrigues me 🙂 I am a huge soccer player and love to do anything on the water- kayak, paddleboard, swim, etc.23625455642_c03de25c65

Tell us something we don’t know about you…
I can imitate a dolphin whistle 🙂

Longhorns or Aggies?

I’m actually from NY and went to college at Johns Hopkins where no one really cared about football- it was all about lacrosse for us (our homecoming was in the spring!). So I’m not a huge football fan. However, since moving to Austin I have become more interested in the sport and that being said, I have to go with the Longhorns!

Leave the fine folks of CrossFit Austin with some parting words…
Thank you so much for selecting me as AOM. I am really honored to be a part of CFA’s Community. I love our gym and I love the people that are a part of it. I really consider myself lucky to be surrounded by such an awesome family. Thank you for pushing me to do better and be better every day.

Fringe Sport + CrossFit Austin || Free Community WOD 3/12

We are teaming up with Fringe Sport for our Free Community WOD this month! 

Address: 3725 Drossett Dr, Austin, TX 78744

Keep up with announcements on the Facebook Event Page!

fringe

Work hard | Sweat hard | Play hard

Come join us on Saturday, March 12 @ 10:00 am for a free workout at Fringe Sport with the CrossFit Austin Community! 

Community workouts are open to everyone and a great way to find out what CrossFit is all about.

All skill levels welcome.

Current members: Bring a friend

First timers: Meet a friend

REGISTER HERE

Want to learn more about the awesome gear you can get at Fringe Sport, visit their website here

Movement Of The Week || Muscle Ups Part 2

On our final installation of #movement videos for the #crossfitopen, we’re bringing you another #muscleup skill/strength builder. These are sure to be #intheopen! Good luck this weekend and for the next 5! We’re rooting for you! @crossfitgames #crossfit #gymnasty #gymnastics #rings #crossfitopen2016 @txtim3 Muscle-up pt. 2 Arch / Hollow Kip Swing (On Rings) A tight compact kip swing is important to correctly perform dynamic gymnastics movements. Even more so on the the rings as they present a less stable apparatus than the bar. The swing should be initiated with the shoulders, the elbows must remain locked out, keep the belly tight in both the arch and hollow position, and keep the heels together and toes pointed. “Big Ring Swings” The goal here is to try to increase the range of the swing so the body rises up parallel to the floor.  The swing starts like the smaller arch / hollow swing but the athlete will lead by swinging  the feet high and continue the swing by driving the hips towards the ring. Perfecting this swing allows the athlete to “feel” weightless at the apex of the swing, so they know when to pull and turnover the rings Hips to RIngs This is a natural continuation of the previous swing. The athlete must be patient and allow the hips to rise as high as possible then pull the rings to the hips or ribs.  The goal is to maintain a tight body position throughout and keep the eyes on the toes during the pull.  This helps teach athletes to pull the rings lower to allow for an easier turnover. Jumping Muscle-ups This is a good practice drill for the “dynamic” turnover. Set the rings at highest position possible still allowing the turnover to be successful.  Performing sets of 8 to 10 reps will help athletes get comfortable catching and supporting their bodyweight in a low ring dip. The low ring dip catch position is common for an athlete’s first muscle-up. Muscle-up Once strong enough to perform a kip muscle-up timing, rhythm, and fluidity become the limiting factors for most in a muscle-up. The initial swing must be fluid and keep tension in the body and rings throughout. Athletes must be patient and let the hips rise while they pull the ring

A video posted by CrossFit Austin (@crossfitaustin) on

Movement Of The Week || Muscle Up Drills

Who's ready for the #crossfitopen?! We sure are! Make sure to get your #muscleup #practice in this week! Check out some of our tips and strength building exercises to help you get and stay #efficient! #CrossFit @crossfitgames #muscleups #hollowbody #intheopen Muscle-Up Transitions -Rings to Sternum Position yourself below the rings. Grab the rings and establish active shoulders and a tight midline. With a slight lean back, pull the rings toward each other and to your sternum (bottom of chest). Variations/extensions to this exercise could include a static hold at the top of the pull and/or employing a tempo on the eccentric (lowering) phase, like a negative. -Toe-nail Muscle-up Transition Position yourself below the rings. Similar to the rings to sternum drill,  but with the top of the feet touching the floor. Grab the rings and establish active shoulders and midline. With a slight lean back, pull the rings toward each other and to your sternum. Pushing through the toes, utilize as much assistance as needed to maintain proper pulling mechanics. Once the rings are to your sternum; continue the pull tracing the bottom of your chest until the rings are at your armpits, with shoulders over the rings. Variations/extensions of this drill could be done the same way with toes on a box. -Band Assisted Hip Extension with Pull This drill can be used to help understand hip extension while maintaining good body position as well as reinforce the proper timing of the pull. Set-up a band on the rings as you would in a banded ring dip. Place the band at the crease of the glutes, as if sitting on a swing. Starting point will be approximately parallel to the ground, in a hollow body position . From this position, you will squeeze your glutes and drive your heels down, eliciting an extension of the hips. The band will assist in the rise of your center of gravity. At the apex of the rise, you will practice the timing of the pull by driving your elbows behind you toward the floor and bringing the rings to your torso. Begin by focusing on one good rep at a time. Stringing these together can take time and is not necessary to receive the benefit of the drill. -Band Assisted Hip E

A video posted by CrossFit Austin (@crossfitaustin) on

The Prep at CrossFit Austin || February 29th

The next cycle of The Prep at CrossFit Austin will start on Monday, February 29th
REGISTER HERE

THE PREP COURSE

[what]    What we like to call “The Prep” is designed to introduce new clients to the fundamentals and essential movements often seen in our group classes. The Prep is a course that teaches proper movement, recovery, mobility strategies, and a crash course on nutrition & lifestyle. This beginners program ultimately gives our clients the tools to make their time at CrossFit Austin life changing. We’re not just movers and shakers at CrossFit Austin – we’re thinkers, too. Producing athletes that train smart, work hard and also know their stuff is what we’re all about.

Train Smart | We’ll teach you to lift & move proficiently
Dedicated time working on the technique of CrossFit Movements over the course of 12 classes, with technical consistency being a focus. Regular exposure to the movements will adequately prepare each client for success in the group class environment. Quality over quantity in your movement is our goal.

Work Hard | We’ll teach you to recover effectively
The body repairs and strengthens itself in the time between workouts. It’s in this time that the body adapts to the stress of exercise and the real training effect takes place. Learning what and how to fill this time outside of the gym is our goal.

Think Well | We’ll teach you to eat efficiently
The individuality and uniqueness of our clients are what makes our community a phenomenal place to thrive in their training. Nutrition can’t be ‘cut and paste’ for each individual – there’s no cookie cutter way to properly eat. Revolutionize the way you view nutrition and eat over the course of 12 classes and learn what works best for your ID.

[structure]    The Prep = 1 Month of CrossFit Austin

If there’s one thing we take seriously, it’s quality over quantity. Yes, we care about each and every person who walks through our doors on a deeper level. You aren’t a dollar sign or a name on a sheet. You’re a member of our family. In our opinion, there’s no way to teach anyone new to CrossFit quality movement and technique in a short amount of time. Thus, our introductory course that isn’t a cram session squeezed into a few day’s time. It’s an investment of a month on both ends. You meet with your coach 3x/week for 4 weeks, learning the ins & outs of what CrossFit and CrossFit Austin is all about.

1 month | 12 Sessions
Just show up; we’ll do the rest. The Prep course you enroll in will meet 3x/week for 4 weeks.  Structured like a CrossFit Class, your Prep course classes will be at the same time each day throughout the course length for 1-hour. Just show up, we’ll do the rest (we mean it!) –  Your coach leads you through the hour class, from welcome, to warm-up, to workout with the learning in between.

1 Coach | 6 athletes
The Prep Course is limited to 6 clients per course to ensure everyone gets quality, semi-private coaching, and our coaches can focus on teaching instead of managing.

With limited space in each course, wait-list opportunities are available.

>>Click here<<  to see a schedule of our upcoming  Prep Courses

Learn more about the CrossFit Austin coaches leading The Prep here.

PRIVATE PREP COURSE

Want to get started right away? Join our Private Prep course!
REGISTER HERE
Private Prep Option: $250

[what]     For those that can’t make our available Prep Course classes  or would prefer a more private introduction to CrossFit, we offer the “Private Prep”. You get all the great resources and coaching we provide in the Prep Course in one-on-one, private training with a coach. Due to the smaller more flexible setting we are able to expedite The Prep process  and get you through the material quicker.

[structure]     The Private Prep = 5 Private Sessions

No different than our regular Prep Course, the Private Prep focuses on quality instruction. Structure is a bit different though – You and your coach will meet for 5 private training sessions based on your scheduling. Each session runs for one-hour.

2 Weeks | 5 Sessions
Just show up; we’ll do the rest. 5 private session over the course of 2 weeks scheduled at your convenience.  Your coach leads you through the hour’s session, from welcome, to warm-up, to workout with the learning in between.

1 Coach | 1 Client
The Private Prep Course is a one-on-one private introduction to CrossFit. Your coach will take you through the Prep Course curriculum in 5 private sessions, and  tailor the program to your individual needs.

>>Click Here<< to enroll in a Private Prep Course and we will contact you within in 24 hours to schedule your sessions with your coach

Pricing:
Group Prep Option:  $200

Course Times:
{6:30 am on M/W/F} or {6:30 pm on M/W/Th}
4 weeks beginning February 29th!