Circle of Awesomeness Challenge
CrossFit Austin is proud to announce a new challenge for you hard trainin, fine folks of CFA! The New Year is here and we are cranking it up to 11 (literally!) this year! Being mean, lean, and clean in 2010 sufficed, but this year we’re laying down the gauntlet – we want you folks to be the epitome of CrossFit Austin. We want you to look good, feel good, and play good. We want you to LIVE in “The Circle of Awesomeness”! So I present to you “The 2011 Circle of Awesomeness Challenge”! Keep reading for the down and dirty…
The COA Challenge consists of 3 Primary Competitions over the course of 8 Weeks (January 12-March 14th)
- A Fitness Challenge (Feel Good, Play Good)
- A Nutritional/Body Transformation Challenge (Look Good, Feel Good)
- And fun random weekly Challenges (Look Good, Feel Good, Play Good)
The Fitness Challenges (Feel Good, Play Good)
Challengers will test and retest in 5 different fitness categories:
- Anaerobic Power
- Anaerobic Endurance
- Maximal Strength and Power
- Relative Strength Endurance
- Maximum Aerobic Output
Each category will be tested and retested in a multi-modal setting (think CrossFit), and in a single mode setting (think NFL combine sprint, lift, jump, etc). Challengers will be scored on top performances and most improved in all tests.
Nutritional/Body Transformation Challenges (Look Good, Play Good)
Challengers will be tested, and retested on a body composition summation score, and nutritional accountability. Challengers will be scored for most improved in the body comp score, and best adherence to our nutritional guidelines. Bonus points will awarded to the best male and female body comp scores.
Weekly Challenges (Look good, Feel Good, Play Good)
The Weekly Challenges will serve as bonus points for the 2 Primary Challenges, or offer a bonus prize. They will be announced at the first of the week, and may run through the day, week, month, or duration of the Challenge. The only thing we can divulge about the weekly challenges is they will make you look spicy, feel feisty, and play nicely!
What’s in it for you?
- 1st Place – 40% of the cash prize pool (split between male, and female), 1 month free CFA unlimited group classes
- 2nd Place – 20% of the cash prize pool (split between male, and female), 3 free individual skill specific training session with a CFA coach w/ supplementary individual programming
- 3rd Place – 10% of the cash prize pool (split between male, and female), 1 free individual assessment w/ supplementary individual programming
*Bonus Prizes throughout the course of the challenge
3 ways to score
Initials Scores, Most improved, and Bonus Points
Primary points: Top performances on initial tests
For each test the challengers will be ranked according to performance, they will then receive a corresponding amount of points according to their rank amongst there fellow challengers. In the case of ties all challengers tied will receive the top possible points, and the first person below the tie will be given points according to his/her placement away from the top spot not score. example: There are 12 men competing in the challenge, first place in any test will receive 12 points, second place 11 points etc. David and Sleeves tied in the CFT w/ 795 lbs, they both receive 12 points for first place. Geno came in next with a 780 lbs he will receive 10 points for 3rd place. .
Primary Points: Most Improved
Challengers will be ranked for the most improvement by pounds, reps, or seconds. Points will be reward in the exact same manner as the system described above..
Bonus points: Accountability Challenge
Challengers will be awarded bonus points for their participation in the accountability challenge as outlined in the “accountability challenge section”.
The final score will consist of adding primary points (initial tests)+primary points (Most improved)+Bonus Points.
New point totals will be tabulated, recorded, and posted (in the gym and comments) on Friday afternoons.
Women’s points will be based off of 14 challengers participating.
Men’s points will be based off of 12 challengers participating.
Schedule and Sign-up
The full schedule of primary challenges will be announced Monday, January 3rd but you will be able to make up any challenge you miss. $40 puts your hat in the COA ring, sign up here in MBO!
2/26. Aerobic : 12:00 Row for max meters
3/2. Anaerobic : 30 Thrusters in 1 Minute for maximal weight
Anaerobic Power: 200 M sprint for time
Strength Endurence: Max kip pull-ups for reps
Power: 3 attempts at a maximum Vertical Jump
Strength Endurence: 5 Rounds of 5 Deadlifts, and Max Push-ups M: Handstand, W: Standard (score is reps achieved in the push-ups)
Strength and Power: 1 RM Clean
3/11 or 3/12.
Aerobic: Fight Gone Bad
Strength: CrossFit Total
*If you can not make any of the above retest please contact us so we can arrange for you to make them up before hand.
Weekly Accountability Challenges for Bonus Points: (January 17th-March 5th)
As part of our upcoming Circle of Awesomeness Challenge, we will be holding you accountable for 10 different things each week. You will receive one point for each thing on the list. The list is as follows:
1. Consume NO grains (you will get 1 point for the week if you you go without grains-so, there is potential for 1 point each week)
2. Consume NO dairy (you will get 1 point for the week if you go without dairy-so, there is potential for 1 point each week)
3. Consume NO sugar (you will get 1 point for the week if you go without sugar-so, there is potential for 1 point each week)
*Addendum we will be following the Whole 30 guidelines for the NO Sugar bonus point.
From Whole9Life: “Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in all kinds of ways.”
*This includes sweeteners in protein powders (sorry Geno), but does not include the natural fructose in fruit, and/or glucose in vegetables such as squash, sweet potatoes, and yams.
4. Consume NO alcohol (you will get 1 point for the week if you go without alcohol-so, there is potential for1 point each week)
5. Sleep a minimum of 8 hours (you will get 1 point for the week if you accumulate 8 hours of sleep within each 24 hr. day-so, there is potential for 1 point each week)
6. Complete your required weekly WODS per your contract (2x a wk=2 WODS, 3x a wk=3 WODS, unlimited=4 WODS-so, you have potential for 1 point each week)
7. Log in your exercise journal (you will get 1 point for the week if you log in your journal every day that you work out-so there is potential for 1 point each week)
8. Log in your food journal (you will get 1 point for the week if you log in your journal every day-so, there is potential for 1 point per week)
NOTE: The exercise and food journal can be combined or separate. You can leave them at CFA or take them home, but they MUST be on the CFA bookshelf by 7:30pm on Mondays in order to get credit for the previous week’s logging. The journals will be returned to the bookshelf on Tuesday morning,s so you can pick them up to continue logging.
9. Try a new recipe (you will receive 1 point for trying at least 1 new recipe a week-additional recipes do NOT give you extra points, but they will make your belly happy!)
10. Stretch for 10 minutes per day or complete the daily mobility WOD @ mobilitywod.blogspot.com (you will get 1 point for the week if you complete the required stretching every day-so, there is potential for 1 point each week)
***The maximum points you can receive for one week is 10 points***
***We will keep a running score on a board in the gym, so everyone can keep up with their points. Points will be tallied and recorded on Monday evenings for the previous week***