Kitchen Adventures || Gimme dat soup (Whole Life Compliant!)
Hey friends! How’s everyone doing? You guys making it through all this rain? I don’t know about you, but this rainy, cloudy weather has definitely impacted my menu. I very quickly turned from cold salads and embraced the fall recipes with all the warm feelings in my heart. Y’all….. I love soups. I love stews, crockpot meals, all the cozy stuff that gives you the warm fuzzies and a full belly. I know we’re probably not really there yet and it’ll go back to just being HOT once the rain clears, but for now, I’m in it 100%.
If you haven’t heard me blabbing or seen me posting about it for weeks, 1) Pull your head out of the sand because I don’t know how you could miss my incessant reminders, and 2)…Whole Life Challenge is starting in a couple of weeks! 🙂
I’ll save you the full explanation and let you read my info post HERE, but I do want to tell you about a couple of fun additions that we will have for this challenge!
First off, we are honored to welcome Coach Dylan’s lovely girlfriend, Erika to our WLC crew. She will be graduating in the spring with her degree in nutrition and has graciously agreed to join our team as a resource to answer questions and give some informational presentations on basic nutrition (more in depth for those interested) to help us get the most out of the nutrition portion of the challenge! She’ll be at our Kick Off Info meeting// Q&A this Saturday (Sept. 15 @ 10:15 am) so if you have any questions she’d love to answer them. She’s going to be planning her talks on the things you guys want to know most, so come help us out!
Secondly, we are SO excited to test out a new service for those folks on our Whole Life Challenge team. Tim’s bother Jon, if you don’t know, is a chef. He’s currently testing out some recipes and putting together menus to offer PREPARED MEALS as an option to WLC team members! Meal prep is something we all struggle with. Even if it’s part of your weekly routine, you can still find yourself needing a little help from time to time. This beta-test will be for Whole Life Challenge members only so if you want in on the fun (and the eats), join the team!
Ok, on to the recipe! This one is compliant for all 3 nutrition levels as long as you use an adobo sauce without sugar. If you can’t find one in
your grocery store, here is an easy compliant recipe to make your own!
*Pro-tip! If you plan ahead, Thrive Market has a ton of amazing, compliant products that don’t include a lot of the ingredients you find in regular grocery stores. Stock up before the challenge on things you use regularly like broths, sauces, etc…. it will make life so much easier!
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1.5 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock (check for added sugar!)
- 1 15 oz. can full-fat coconut milk (unsweetened – no guar gum for Performance)
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 16 oz. bag of fresh spinach
- 3 TBSP chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – more or less to taste (sauce only)
- 2 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Optional Toppings: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, lime wedges, fresh jalapeno slices, green onions….
- Turn slow cooker to low heat setting and add chicken breasts, tomatoes, onion, chicken stock, chipotle sauce, cumin, smoked paprika and sea salt. Cover and cook 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks. Add chicken back to slow cooker and stir in coconut milk. Cook an additional 20 minutes, uncovered, to reduce slightly.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt (appx 5 minutes) before serving.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with toppings of your choice and light one of those wood wick candles so you can pretend you’re sitting cozy by a fireplace 😉
We absolutely love Siete Foods tortillas and chips (found at Whole Foods, HEB, and also on Thrive Market in addition to their own site) so I served this up with some lime tortilla chips.