Kitchen Adventures || Greens & Grains Salad
Hey hey! Hope you all are having a great week. I’m going to keep it short this week because I am short on time and have SO MUCH to do before we head out of town this weekend!
So, on to the recipe! I am always looking for different ways to get veggies into my meals. I love roasting them, but I do get tired of that sometimes. This recipe combines a few different elements for a salad that is a little different than what you normally think of when you hear that word. I served it cold, but if you want to eat it warm as soon as it’s ready, it’s great that way too!
Greens & Grains Salad
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grain of your choice – I used THIS, but you could use rice, couscous, quinoa, whatever you like!
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of the oil, onion, vinegar, Dijon, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined; set aside while you cook the grains. Cook according to package.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the green beans and saute until fork tender and bright green.
- Transfer the green beans and grains to the bowl of dressing, add the kidney beans and fresh spinach and stir to combine. Let sit 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to cool and let the flavors combine. Stir in the dill and parsley. If you choose to serve cold you can put it in the fridge once it’s cooled a bit!