Each month we spotlight a different CFA athlete who stands out and shows just how awesome they are. What is it that makes up an Athlete of the Month? It may not be the person that finishes the fastest, Rx’s every WOD, or gets a PR every time they walk in the gym. Although we love and celebrate when those things happen, the Athlete of the Month is made up of much more than physical ability. This person shows up, gives their best every time, and then gives a little more. They are hungry to learn and always ready to do the work. They support their fellow classmates and encourage them to reach their goals. This athlete embodies what we believe the CrossFit Austin Community should be about.
Our 2024 February Athlete of the Month is Jesus Jimenez! Jesus has been putting in the work for years, joining our family in August of 2020 after completing Fundamentals to learn the ropes. Coming from a lengthy athletic background, he took to CrossFit rather quickly but stayed modest with his progressions and weights to stay well for his favorite sport, soccer. A few sports-related injuries and one gnarly rattlesnake bite benched him for brief periods over the years, but he always returns to 5:30am with a smile on his face. He’s known by his fellow 5:30ers as the one who will encourage you and tease you equally often (just ask Fernando and Jack), but it’s his consistency, coachability, friendliness, and helpfulness that make him a standout in our community. Congratulations Jesus, as it’s been a long time coming and so well deserved! You would have gotten this a long time ago if it weren’t for that darned snake! All jokes aside, thank you for letting us share in your journey!
State your Name and/or Nickname please:
- Jesus Jimenez, some people call me JJ.
Words to live by?
- One day at a time
What is your fitness background?
- I have always been involved in sports. Between the age of 6 to around 11 I just to swim and I competed in the Junior Olympics in Florida. I also completed a few triathlons, but Futbol has been my passion.
How long have you been CrossFitting?
- I joined CFA during the pandemic when the gym started to open back up. Before that 0 CrossFit experience.
Take us back to your first day of CrossFit… How did you feel? How do you compare it to workouts
- I thought it was going to be easy but I notice quickly that I was in for a ride. I was tired and swore. Working out now feels smooth and good since I have paid a little more attention to my form and weight selection.
What’s your favorite part of CrossFit Austin?
- The 5:30 crew make you feel like family. It’s always a healthy competitive crew that will keep you on your toes! Also, the environment and the coaches. It makes you feel comfortable and like you have been there for years.
Current Training Goals/PRs?
- In the gym just trying to incorporate more performance workouts. Outside of the gym working on a full marathon and a trifecta for the spartan race series, it consists of 5k,10k and 21k.
What advice do you have for folks just starting out in CrossFit?
- Listen to your body and work hard, the results will follow. Work on your form. Oh, and don’t forget to stretch/mobility after class, coach Heidi is always watching
How do you balance staying focused in your training when life gets busy?
- Starting the day by working out just makes my day easier. It helps me clear out my mind and distress from the day to day by showing the baby weights who’s boss
What is your cheat meal go-to?
- I really don’t have one, I will eat anything at any time.
How do you use your fitness outside of the gym?
- It helps me stay healthy and focused on my day to day.
What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your fitness journey?
- I will have to say muscle injuries by not listening to my body. The latest challenge was last year in September when I got bitten by a baby rattlesnake on my foot. I thought I was going to be in the sideline for a bit, but luckily, I was just out for about a month.
Tell us about a moment you felt most proud of yourself during a workout.
- Every work out i get to beat the grandpas from 5:30 am (you guys know who you are)
If you could create a WOD and name it for yourself, what would it be?
JJ Special (13 for my DOB)
3 rounds for time
13 Power Cleans
13 Push ups
What keeps you going on the days you don’t feel like it?
- Discipline to accomplish a goal, you can always rest after.
What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?
- If im not playing Futbol, im BBQ at home with the family or friends. also taking my dog chase for a walk.
Tell us something we don’t know about you…
- I can’t go a day without Nutella
Leave the fine folks of CrossFit Austin with some parting words…
- Thank you for the love and encouragement daily, it doesn’t go unnoticed.