It’s football season! There is a long menu of football friendly foods, but when I think football, I think wings. I’m here to tell you though, you can make a healthier version and even have the ranch! All of this is whole life compliant (for performance level too if you find a clean one or make your own mayo!)
This is definitely more work than ordering from your favorite wing place, but it’s so worth it if you’re trying to stay clean. You can chow guilt free knowing what’s exactly what’s on your plate while you’re watching your favorite team. I can’t help you with the beer… you’re on your own there 😉 (although, topo and lime is a great substitute if you just want something cold and fizzy)
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup compliant hot sauce (I use Louisiana)
- 2-4 TBSP Organic butter (to taste)
I use an air fryer for mine (which I totally recommend buying one if you don’t have one!) but you can also just bake these in the oven. I’ve included directions for crispy oven wings below.
- In a gallon sized zipper bag place the chicken wings, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and lemon juice. Toss to combine making sure to massage the marinade into the wings well.
- Marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°F. (SEE BELOW FOR OVEN INSTRUCTIONS)
- Place the chicken wings in a single layer in the fry basket and insert into the air fryer.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket.
- Repeat this process with the remaining chicken wings.
- *Optional -While wings are cooking- To tone down the spice of your buffalo sauce, melt 2 TBSP of butter in a sauce pan and combine with 1/4 cup of hot sauce. Simmer on low for 3-4 minutes. Add more butter to bring down the spice.
- In a bowl place the fried chicken wings and hot sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Oven Directions –
Pat wings dry with paper towels after marinading; Bake at 250F for 30 minutes, then at 425F for 40 – 50 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
There will be a couple of steps to this. First we’ll make the seasoning mix. You’ll need 3/4 – 1 1/4 TBSP of seasoning mix, but this recipe with make enough that you’ll have some to store! Once we’ve made the mix, we’ll talk about combining it with different ingredients to your liking.
Seasoning Mix –
- 6 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Toss all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Use your fingers to gently massage the spices together until mix well.
Store in a sealed container until ready to use.
MAKING YOUR DRESSING
To make Dairy-Free, Paleo, WLC compliant Ranch Dressing mix together –
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise – you can make your own compliant mayo with this recipe
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (regular not lite in a can, not the kind you drink – check for sweeteners!)
- 1 – 1 1/4 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- Mix all the ingredients together until combined. Start with using 3/4 tablespoon dried seasoning mix. Add more if desired.
Alternate option to mayo – I really like this with 1/3 cup of plain Greek Yogurt instead. That would be lifestyle compliant, but kicks it our of performance so choose accordingly!
Ok, guys! Like I said, it’s more work than ordering in, but so worth it! I hope your teams wins this weekend. Unless they are playing one of mine. Then I hope they lose 😉 Enjoy your wings!