March Athlete: Matt Terry

In an effort to get to know the fine folks of CrossFit Austin, we embark on our Athlete of the Month series.  Each month we will spotlight a different CFA athlete.  This month we have Jets fan and Mustache lover Matt Terry….

State your Name and/or Nickname please.
Matthew Douglas Terry, aka Tow Matt which is short for the other white Matt. I would like to vote for changing it to “Stigmatta” due to the blister on my palm from pull-ups

Occupation?
Banquet Manager at the Headliner’s Club

Words to live by?
“What do you expect Thorn, look at the sneakers those guys are wearing. If our guys had sneakers like that, there’s no telling what they could do.” Quote by the basketball coach in Teen Wolf (The Michael J. Fox original, not the lesser sequel starring Jason Bateman)

What is your fitness background?
Played tennis in high school, called me “wild thing” because I never once won a match and would throw absolute tantrums caused by the frustration of sucking

How long have you been CrossFitting?
Started in either August or September of ’09. The first week was so horrible I’ve blocked it out, therefore the exact date is suspect

What’s your favorite part of CrossFit?
The commradery. I’ve never been a part of anything like it. Wes and Boone have fostered a really kick ass environment for all of us to be the best we can be

What are your training goals?
Two parts. I want my name on the wall and I want to Rx every time. Oh, and I want to be in amazing shape so I can live a long healthy life loving my beautiful wife, Amber, who told me to write this.

Favorite sport or activity?
Golf. You get to drink

Recent adventure you’re planning?
Well I’m on vacation the week of south by………..

Tell us something we don’t know about you?
In kindergarten, me and this kid rusty lawson peed in the reading apple. It was a giant plastic apple you could climb in to read and we peed in it. Sorry Ms. Vickers.

Longhorns or Aggies?
I have serious Longhorn connections through work but was raised bleeding maroon.
I say you can still gig ’em while hookin ’em as well. Why does that sound dirty?

How has moving back into the general mustacheless population affected you over the last two months?
I lost a big piece of myself that day as my facial hair and self respect swirled down the bathroom sink drain. It has been easier stopping to use the restroom at truckstops without being hassled by undercover cops thinking I’m a male prostitute.

Leave the fine folks of CrossFit Austin with some parting words?
You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it and believe in yourself. No, not you dummie.

img_0071

February Athlete: Kristin Shanahan

In an effort to get to know the fine folks of CrossFit Austin, we embark on our Athlete of the Month series.  Each month we will spotlight a different CFA athlete.  This month we have Pancho Burpee Afficianado Kristin Shanahan….

Kristin Shanahan aka Pistin, Pisticle, Pist, Fritters, Fritts, Kris, Krispy, K, Snatch Monster, Ridiculously Strong (hahahahahahaha)

Occupation?

I pscyhoanalyze you…that’s right YOU! Now you’re all paranoid! Just kidding, maybe. I’m finishing up my masters in counseling – marriage and family therapy.

Words to live by?

“Pay no attention to the faults of others,
things done or left undone by others.
Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone.”

I was a ridiculously good runner before I joined CF. HA! Just kidding…..I was a swimmer through high school. Then I begged and pleaded with people to buy training sessions from me at a box gym…. 3×15, 3-5 x week and 45 min. of cardio….I didn’t last very long….but I do miss calf raises (just jokes).

Since Wes told me to shut-up after I badgered him for 30 minutes on the phone about his certifications….hehehe – December, 2008.

I have to pick just one favorite thing?! I love that every day is different. I am NEVER bored at CF.

I’m hoping to PR Fran when I’m 9 months pregnant….training goals are on hold for the moment.

Um, CF of course!

Is having a baby an adventure? I think so.

I win guacamole contests.

Longhorns or Aggies?

I have no idea who the “longhorns” are….A-G-G-I-E-S!!!!!!!

What Would Rob Wykoff do?

Rob Wykoff would do 30 burpees in the rain and mud at ACL and then shotgun a beer (I mean, Patron with 100% pure lime juice) just to show off how manly he is…..or he’ll just sing you “Werewolves in London”.

If Baby Shanahan ends up being a boy, do you go with the Tom Selleck mustache, or the Burt Reynolds Mustache?

I’m going with Tom on this one. Burt’s just……gross.

Pain is temporary, misery is optional except if you CrossFit. Misery LOVES company! Thanks, CFA’ites….it’s been GREAT getting to know you!

thanksgiving-engagment-party-036

Sweat with Your Sweetheart 2010!

flyer

CrossFit Austin and Westlake CrossFit present a free Pre-Valentine’s Day CrossFit workout in the park. Get your Valentine’s Day started right! Meet us at Town Lake under the South 1st bridge, with that special someone or come “stag” and meet other local Austin CrossFitters.

This will be an instructor-led one hour CrossFit session. The perfect opportunity for those curious about CrossFit to finally try it out, the beginner to build on their skills, or the Firebreather to destroy another WOD. If you plan on attending please RSVP on our Facebook invitation or just meet us at Town Lake between 10 and 10:30 so we can get started promptly at 10:30 AM.

January Athlete of the Month, Jerry Everhard

In an effort to get to know the fine folks of CrossFit Austin, we embark on our Athlete of the Month series.  Each month we will spotlight a different CFA athlete.  This month we have master of the halloween costume Jerry Everhard….

Some people put the letter N in front of one of my names but I’d rather not discuss that one… . The one I hear the most is from my mom who calls me “Yeti” either because she hasn’t quite learned how to pronounce the “J” sound or my extraordinarily hairy legs remind her of a mountain fairing big foot creature. I still haven’t decided which.

To be clear about the first nickname, I just hate it when people call me “NJerry”, it wasn’t people putting the N in front of my last name. (Insert nervous cough)

Occupation?

During my breaks from Hulu.com I also do a little work as an attorney for the Legislature.

Words to live by?

(1) “The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.” ~ Rocky Balboa 2006

(2) [chasing a chicken] “I feel like a Kentucky Fried idiot.” ~ Rocky Balboa 1979

NOTHING(’82)—->START TENNIS (’01)—>KNOCK TOOTH OUT (2 WEEKS OF TENNIS)—->BACK TO NOTHING

Making my rounds around the Professional CrossFitting Circuit since September

It’s multifaceted. First coming in and seeing Boone and realizing I won’t be yelled at by Wes for not doing an exercise perfectly. Second coming in and seeing Wes and realizing I won’t have to listen to Boone’s collection of Cold Play’s Greatest Hits while trying to work out.

Nail down the kipping pull-ups and join the muscle up club

Watching Texas football because I like winning championships.

My brother and I are planning to go to Yosemite Park in the summer and hike Half Dome.

My mom made me eat a pack of smokes when she caught me smoking in high school.

Longhorns or Aggies?

Texas Longhorns

Do you consider costume creation more of an art or a science?

The giant Mr. Peanut costume 3 years ago was more art because it involved a lot of paper mashie. I’d say this year’s Oscar the Grouch costume was more science just because it makes me sound smarter and I need to sound smarter considering I wasted a month of my life making it.

Does your lack of a mustache hinder your performance in your chosen profession?

I have to say that my career at TomSelleckImpersonator.com has been stifled somewhat.

I’d like to thank Dave and Sherman for letting me sleep on their floor for an entire weekend the majority of that time uninvited.

oscar4

December Athlete of the Month

In an effort to get to know the fine folks of CrossFit Austin, we embark on our Athlete of the Month series.  Each month we will spotlight a different CFA athlete.  This month we have outerwear enthusiast / muscle up queen Walker Fenz!

Helen Walker Fenz…been called Walker all my life, so guess that’s my nickname

Occupation?
Project Manager at a logisitics software company (nerd alert!)

Words to live by?
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr.Suess

Was a gymnast from age 8 through freshman year in college. Afte that, putzed around with kickboxing, step-class, and the like…you can still find me at the globo – i love my cardio salsa class!

5 months – just passed my 75th workout!

The moment you realize, “holy sh-t, I CAN finish”

To be a lean, mean, crossfitting machine! (in other words, emotionally and physically strong, happy and healthy…and look fierce in a bikini)

CrossFit, duh. Other than that, eating, drinking…and sweatin to the oldies!

Become a 2010 Yelp.com Elite – i love to eat as much as i love to crossfit!

Well the dirty secret is out – my first name is Helen

Longhorns or Aggies?
Hook em!

Describe Nugget’s butterfly pull-ups, in 15 words or less?
A dying fish having a seizure…i mean, poetry in motion 😉

What Would Jane Fonda do?
Wear underwear on the outside of one clothes.

“The CrossFit mindset:”
1. I will promise to do my best. My best will vary from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. But in that minute, I will do the very best I can.
2. If I can run, I run. If I can walk, I walk. If I must crawl, I crawl. And when I make it, I will rest. And live to fight another day.
3. I fear no man, but I fear my workout. If I don’t fear my workout, it isn’t hard enough.
4. I may puke. I may cry. But I will not quit. Ever.

untitled

May 24th On-Ramp Class (6 Spots left)

On Ramp Program Starting May 24th @ 7:30 PM

The On Ramp program is designed to teach you the fundamental movements of the CrossFit program and prepare you for the rigors of our group classes.  The On Ramp Program consists of six classes over a two week period.  We also offer one on one training as a substitute for the On ramp class. Once you have completed our On Ramp program either as a class or through one on one sessions, you will be eligible to participate in our group classes.

The two-week On-ramp class costs $100 and includes an introduction to the foundational CrossFit movements and nutrition.  Click here to view the class schedule. To pay for the class and reserve your spot, please click the link below.

Buy OnRamp Intro CrossFit Classes

November Athlete of the Month

In an effort to get to know the fine folks of CrossFit Austin, we embark on our Athlete of the Month series.  Each month we will spotlight a different CFA athlete.  This month we have Queso Dealer/ Thruster connoisseur Dave Kiehl.

(listing no Nickname will result in a “nicknaming contest” via the comments)

David Kiehl

Occupation?
Manager at Maudie’s Hacienda

Words to live by?
Do it to it!

Excluding kids sports, nothing.  This is the first serious regimented exercise routine I have ever done.

Seven months.  I love it.

The community atmosphere.  I really like the competitive nature of the program but also how we consistently support each other to excel.

Short term to finally master the kipping pull-up.  Long term to be the best athlete I can be.

CrossFit, of course.  Outside of that hiking and backpacking.

Recent/Future adventure you’re planning?
As many of you know I just returned from a rather leisurely cruise to Alaska.  I am in the early stages of planning my return to conquer the Wrangle-St. Elias Ranges.  Hopefully, I will be doing this in August 2010.

A year and a half ago I challenged myself to get into shape.  In that time period I have lost almost 90 pounds.  This has been the single hardest and most important event in my life.

Longhorns or Aggies?
Aggies, class of ’08.  GIG’EM AGGIES WHOOP!!!!!

Is Maudie’s Queso as addictive as heroin?
No.  Recent studies have proven it to be as addictive as pure Afghani opium.  For any further comments you will need to contact our lawyers.

Does your lack of a mustache hinder your performance in your chosen profession?
I have found that my lack of mustache actually lowers my “creepy level” on the “creepy scale.”  This allows me to easier interact with my clientele.  However, a handlebar mustache would be awesome!  That may be my next adventure?

“Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.”
Winston Churchill

dave-aom

Akins Boot Camp

Starting Monday January 4th, 2010 we will be holding another CrossFit Outdoor Bootcamp @ Akins High School.  The boot camp will utilize the CrossFit training principles in an outdoor setting, and progess participants to a high level of fitness.  The boot camp will also serve as an introduction to the CrossFit methodologies, for those that are interested in full CrossFit classes at our facility.  If you have ever been curious about CrossFit but a little intimidated, or you’re just looking to get back in shape this program is for you!

The first Bootcamp will last six weeks on Mondays, and Wednesdays from 4:45 PM to 5:45 PM.  To pay for the class and reserve your spot use the appropriate link below:

General Public ($175):

Military, Fireman, Law Enforcement, First responders, Students, and Teachers ($150):

Akins Teacher/Staff ($100):

For more info contact us at info@crossfitaustin.com

6613_135285621116_659281116_3620446_6483725_n1-300x2291

Halloween Workout in the Park

6613_135285621116_659281116_3620446_6483725_n1-300x229

CrossFit Austin and Westlake CrossFit bring you a free Halloween CrossFit workout in the Park. Give yourself a reason to indulge in costumed revelry this Halloween! Meet us at Town Lake under the South 1st bridge, with your best costume on and be a part of the Austin CrossFit revolution.

This will be an instructor-led one hour CrossFit session. The perfect opportunity for those curious about CrossFit to finally try it out, the beginner to build on their skills, or the Fire-breather to destroy another WOD. If you plan on attending please RSVP on our Facebook invitation or just meet us at Town Lake between 10 and 10:30 so we can get started promptly at 10:30 AM.